TE Connectivity has unveiled its IP68 certified waterproof micro USB 2.0 connector, an upgrade to the IP57 splash-proof model. It provides stronger protection for mobile devices from water and dust.
The IP (ingress protection) rating specifies the degree of protection against either solid objects or liquid. The first digit describes the protection against solid objects, while the second digit indicates the protection against liquid.
ALSO READ: Lumia 930 now available for India consumers
The higher the number, the better the protection. TE’s IP68 connector remains intact at a water depth of 1.5 meters for a minimum of 30 minutes.
“The stainless steel MIM shell replaces the traditional stamped and formed shell, which typically contains many holes and is less usable for waterproof connectors. Our MIM shell can provide the improved strength against wrenching and false insertion, and reduces the shell height by 0.3mm.” said Egbert Stellinga.
- Staggered contacts provide improved signal separation as well as enhanced mechanical stability.
- Equipped with an undercut matching the plug latches, the connector keeps the plug mated like the normal micro USB connector.
- The metal reinforcement plate prevents damage to the plastic tab containing the contacts inside the connector and prevents electrical short circuits.
- The circular interface to the main shell allows for easy integration of the connector in a device.
- Screw-mounting ears make it easier to integrate and position the connector in the final application.