Samsung has announced the Gear VR Innovator Edition powered by Oculus for the consumers in the United States. The device uses Galaxy Note 4 and will allow developers and buyers to see and experience content as it is created.
“This is a great opportunity for the enthusiast community, developers and Samsung to get feedback and continue to innovate in this exciting new space.” said Justin Denison, vice president, Product Strategy and Marketing, Samsung.
Gear VR Innovator Edition includes sample gaming and experiential content like HeroBound, Anshar Wars, a multiplayer space shooter, and the Blu, along with other titles and demos.
There will also be a variety of 3D 360° video content available, such as a specially filmed portion of the Cirque du Soleil show, Zarkana. These demos, games, and experiences are available for download through the Oculus platform.
Using the Galaxy Note 4’s 5.7-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED display, Gear VR Innovator Edition produces better visuals and allows developers to design 360° experiences.
Gear VR is equipped with a touch pad, back button, and focus adjustment wheel for an easy-to-use virtual reality device.
Gear VR is compatible with Bluetooth gaming controllers, but there are no specific controls for users hands for now.
There were also some improvements made in the wearable keeping in mind the setbacks of previously launched VR headsets:
- Allowing custom calibrated sensors to talk to a dedicated kernel driver
- Enabling real time scheduled multithreaded application processes at guaranteed clock rates
- Context prioritized GPU rendering, enabling asynchronous time warp
- Facilitating completely unbuffered display surfaces for minimal latency
- Supporting low-persistence display mode for improved comfort, visual stability, and reduced motion blur / judder
Gear VR is compact in size (198 x 116 x 90mm), and a light weight comfortable wearable. The padding around the eyes can be replaced easily, which is a necessity for long time users.
Gear VR Innovator Edition is available for $199 online at Samsung.com and ATT.com.