Panasonic has unveiled its 5-inch handheld tablet ‘Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 running on Windows 8.1 and Android 4.2.2 operating systems respectively.
The tablets are purpose-built to improve efficiency and productivity for mobile professionals such as first responders, military service members and those in transportation, logistic, utilities, manufacturing, retail and field services.
The Toughpad FZ-X1 with WiFi or mobile broadband data connectivity will be the first to hit the market in August 2014 at $1,799 (WiFi-only) or $1,849 (mobile broadband data).
The Toughpad FZ-E1 with WiFi-only connectivity will also be available in August 2014 at $1,899, followed by the telephony and mobile broadband-enabled version with a target date of October 2014 at $1,999.
The Toughpad FZ-X1 enabled for telephony and mobile broadband data will have a target date of January 2015 at $1,899.
With 14-hour hot-swappable batteries, FIPS 140-2 Level 1 security, and sunlight-readable HD touch screens that work even with gloves, the tablets are built for easy integration into existing IT infrastructures.
Both devices are fully sealed against dust and are submersible in up to 5 feet of water for up to 30 minutes, meeting IP65 and IP68 certification requirements. The devices carry an operating temperature range of -4° F to 140°F thanks to a built-in heater, and are also tested for resistance to impact, shock, vibration, altitude and extreme humidity.
The devices’ enterprise-grade features include a sunlight-readable, anti-reflective HD (1280×720) 10-point capacitive multi-touch-screen that works even with heavy gloves, with a rain-sensing feature that allows for single touch use even in pouring rain.
In addition to 8.0MP rear and 1.3MP front cameras, configuration options such as an integrated 1D/2D barcode reader and attachable magnetic stripe reader allow enterprises to customize the ideal tool for their workforces.
The Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 are the first devices in the Toughpad line to offer optional voice connectivity. Both models will be available with dual SIM slots and certified on leading mobile carrier networks, 4G LTE/3G/GPRS/CDMA2000 mobile broadband for voice and data.
Push-to-talk service also will be available on specific networks and depending on service contracts. Standard on both models is Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, near field communications (NFC), standalone GPS and Bluetooth v4.0
- Toughpad FZ-E1: Windows Embedded 8.1 Handheld
- Toughpad FZ-X1: Android 4.2.2
- Toughpad FZ-E1: Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 series 2.3GHz Quad Core
- Toughpad FZ-X1: Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 series 1.7GHz Quad Core
- Rugged Durability: MIL-STD-810G certified; tested for 10-foot drops to concrete; IP65 and IP68 certified fully sealed design (sealed against dust and submersible in water), operating temperature range of -4° F to 140°F
- Handheld Portability: 15 oz., 1.2” thin (standard configuration)
- Battery Life: Up to 14 hours of continuous use
- Display: 5-inch sunlight-readable, anti-reflective HD (1280×720) LCD with high-sensitivity 10-point capacitive multitouch input.
- Storage and Memory: 32 GB flash memory with 2GB RAM; and micro SDXC card slot
- Connectivity: optional 4G LTE/3G/GPRS/CDMA2000 (voice and data); standard Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, near field communications (NFC), standalone GPS, Bluetooth® v4.0 (Class 1), USB 2.0; optional integrated 1D/2D barcode reader; optional attachable magnetic stripe card reader; expansion area for peripheral connectivity
- Camera: 8MP rear camera with auto focus and LED light; 1.3MP front camera
- Security: FIPS 140-2 Level 1 compliant
- Warranty: The Toughpad FZ-E1 and Toughpad FZ-X1 are backed by 3-year warranty and U.S.-based customer support